Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A wonderful wedding weekend











My dear friend Adel is now married and has converted her name and residence to be one with her new hubbie. Adel and Mark had an absolutely lovely wedding this past weekend and I have the photos to prove it. It was outdoors in a park in Minneapolis; they were blessed by the sun and the trees and the presence of their family and friends. I am so happy I got to make this trip to witness and celebrate together with them. There are other weddings that I missed or will miss this year and it does break my heart. Weddings are such a joyous and fun time. This one was no different.
On the topic of weddings, I am preparing a little bit for my own in January. I have to get some paperwork in order to apply for a marriage license in Peru. However, it isn't that easy to just apply and pay the fee. I had to visit the Secretary of State office twice last week. First I had to get a letter than states that I, Nora Bedard, am a single woman. Signed by the Secretary of State to be official. Then I had to get original copies of my birth certificate (no big deal) and get it officialized, again, by the Secretary of State and then sent to the Peruvian Consulate in Chicago with a $30 money order to get a special stamp that double certifies it. Who comes up with this?
Now when I return to Peru I still have to get an HIV test at a specific doctor office in Lima, but pay at my medical visit fee at the national bank ahead of time and get all my documents translated by a specific translator in Lima...and who knows what else?
I think the paperwork work is the true test to see if you are really willing to go the distance for your fiance. Now, keep in mind all this paperwork is just to apply for a marriage license, we haven't even started Hugo's visa application. I am sure I will have more bureacratic stories!

No comments: