Tuesday, February 5, 2008

World's Biggest Water Fight






I have never seen so much water in my life. Carnival weekend turned into an all out water war. I had to wear a piece of blue plastic to try and keep my camera and parts of my body dry. The weekend started with the usual all-night music and dance party in the central plaza. I woke up every morning this past weekend with carnival music ringing in my ear, but it was actually not my imagination - bands that had stayed up all night were still rockin' out at 7 or 8 am. On Saturday it was throw paint at each other until you were unrecognizable. On Sunday and Monday there were parades with elaborate costumes, multiple carnival bands, and of course, water. People were stationed on both sides of the streets (and on the rooftops above) with their water balloon ammunition (and water buckets). Before the parade started, groups that were walking on the parade street were direct targets for the water war. As the parade started, the water ceased for a bit, but started right up again when there was a break in the parade. I don't think anyone escaped the war. We were all drenched when it was said and done.

The parades were a fun sight to see. Everyone in the parade was dancing down the street, and almost every costume group had their own band. People in their costumes would stop and dance with us on the sidewalk, and some would ask for the home-made alcohol "chicha" drink. It was definitely an interactive event, wet and wild. I have come to the conclusion that just like Disneyland or Yellowstone, everyone should experience Cajamarca Carnival just once.

No comments: