Sunday, August 31, 2008

Shed a tear, Never again....

This weekend was full of activity and new things. I went to 2 apolladas yesterday. Apolladas = A fundraiser involving chicken, lots of potatoes, and beers. I went to support 2 of our loan recipients; one women held an apollada to raise money for her mom's cancer medicine and the other wants to formally register her business and needs a big chunk of change. I hope they made the money they wanted and needed - Hugo and I sure got (or at least felt) fat supporting them.

Then later in the afternoon I went to my first bullfight. Never again. Hugo and I first went to the shaky wood slab bleachers. I then suggested we move to the cement bleachers that looked more sturdy and less likely to collapse. These wood bleachers in the U.S. would most certainly be a lawsuit waiting to happen. (see pic!)

I had no idea that I would shed a tear and feel so sorry for an animal. I am not an animal person, but was ready to get out my "animal maltreatment" sign. The matadors totally ganged up on the bull and showed off their shiny, extra tight matador suits as if they ruled the animal kingdom. I had to shut off my heart and mind and not watch the killing of all 4 bulls. Some say art, tradition, thrill. I say awful, pain, ugly and ridiculous. So for those of you that have the opportunity in the future to go to a bullfight I would definitely recommend not going. If you do, bring Kleenex, just in case you have the same reaction that I did.


My Sunday was completely different. I went to help translate for a group of American doctors on a medical mission near Cajamarca. It was inspiring and heartbreaking. It is so hard for me to see and participate in something that is not sustainable. We were able to administer lots of medicine, providing relief and temporarily comfort, but what will happen next month when the same patients need continued medical care and the doctors are back in the U.S.? I know that most of the doctors also realized this during the course of the appointments as they wanted to refer out, offer follow-up and just do more. I guess sometimes we live with the satisfaction of providing some short term relief and peace to others in need. That is some help too, no?

No comments: