Monday, January 12, 2009

Inspired in Austin

This is gonna be my last U.S. blog postings, that means from here on out I will be reporting live from Peru. I have been in Austin for the past couple of days getting ready for my work this year with Maggie, my amazing "boss" (pictured here, after a hard day of errands) and the whole Austin, TX Discover Hope family. Brainstorming with Maggie has been so great for us to generate more ideas for this year, but also getting me to a mental place where I am ready to jump into work in Cajamarca. I no longer feel like I am on vacation anymore. Although the all the wine, good tex-mex and comfy sofa still contain those vacation elements.

Meeting the Discover Hope team here in Austin has been really cool, for lack of a better adjective. I had no idea how many people Maggie has single-handedly rallied to join forces in eliminating poverty in Cajamarca. I met the Board for an all day strategic plan, which was a different language - not spanish - but so helpful in putting puzzle pieces together of how Discover Hope all works. On my side in Cajamarca I never realize how much support there actually is in the U.S. and how I am never really alone in my efforts. I also met a bunch of DHF supporters at a "Nora meet and greet" yesterday. It was crazy because every single person in the room knew me (and everything about me) and I knew no one. I gave a little presentation on what work is like "in the field and on the ground." Seriously, this was one of the only audiences I have experienced where I had everyone's undivided attention. This never happens in Peru.

With that said, I am inspired and ready to be in Peru, see Hugo, have my apartment back and start workin'!

No comments: