Friday, June 5, 2009

The other universe

I have arrived safe and sound and tired to my home in Cajamarca. It feels familiar, yet distance still. I still have thoughts of Minnesota running through my head. I am missing the full fridge, the perfect weather, my bike, my family, English, toilet seat covers (toilets in Peru don't have seat covers), lazy mornings, the endless food choices. Oh.

But, when I saw Hugo in the airport parking lot I knew I was home. His embrace was my security and my heart was comforted in peace and an enormous wave of love. I forgot all the trials of my travels.

It was a really difficult trip back to Peru. This is what was going through my head at 3am in the Lima airport that somehow made it onto my computer:

Who would think one could be so lonely in an airport full of people? I remember being so comforted in the presence of only myself. My leaving MN was harder than I thought. When am I going to come back here? Will it be more than a year? That will be my longest time away. A tear. I love Hugo and I can’t live without him, but I can’t live without my first home either. I am a women inbetween 2 worlds. I am stuck in this weird universe here in the airport and I am not in either of those worlds.

I have done circles here, my head is spinning from starring at the circular round tables, the sterile walls, the other tired passengers sharing my alternative universe with me until we all enter into the universe we are waiting for.

This indeed has felt like the longest day of my life. My red overweight carryon has been my shadow all day. To get coffee, to the small little bathroom stall, to the internet cabin, and to get more coffee. I have done more than my fair share of laps in this small, circular airport. I look at the clock on the wall – no movement, did someone turn it off? Are the batteries low?


Thank goodness I can put that behind me and be in here in Cajamarca for awhile. Those of you that are interested in the yellow apartment update: it is Gorgeous! Beautiful! Hugo put in the second floor, windows, circular staircase, light fixtures (strategically placed to show off his paintings), and kitchen sink. And the living room yellow walls are now accompanied by alternating dark wine red walls. I will try to post some pictures this weekened. Gorgeous (did I say that already?) !

No comments: