Monday, July 27, 2009

Art Show

Hugo had an art show this past weekend. Together with his art school counterparts they put together a pretty good show. Before the show we had chocolate cake to celebrate (see mom and son photo!) There was a variety of art in the expo, but Hugo's paintings were by far the most provocative. He dives into social issues when he paints - Why does sex sell? Prostitution, Women and the Media. I think it left a lot of people confused and maybe a little taken back. Hugo was disappointed because no one commented, critiqued, or even wondered about the meaning of his paintings. As an artist he wants feedback. Cajamarca is still a very closed culture in terms of talking about taboo social issues. I love that Hugo walks alone in his art. Someone has to do it.

Probably the funniest thing for me during the art show was when an older gentleman tried to put Hugo's slanted painting straight. I kindly told him, "No the painting is suppose to be turned like this." Oh. And he walked away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

at one time you'd posted a link to buy Hugo's art and there was a painting I was in love with... What is that link again? Thanks (:

NoraBee said...

Thanks for your interest. I have some of Hugo´s paintings on my flickr website, go to the link on the left side of the blog page. Cajamarca Art I think is the title of the group. The problem is I am not traveling to the U.S. anytime soon, so I am not able to bring more of his art up north. But, will post in the future when more of his art will be available - stay tuned!