Sunday, March 16, 2008

Crosses and Cuys


Today was a very exciting, action packed, tradition filled day. Palm Sunday is celebrated with rich traditions in a small village, Porcon, just out of town from Cajamarca. Paola and I made our way to the bus stop at 7am to catch a combi out of town. We arrived in Porcon and saw busy entrepreneurs making their cooked guinea pig, fried potatoes and setting up fruit and bread stands to sell for the activities of the day. What happens in Porcon is that the surrounding communities in the countryside spend the night preparing their 70 kilo crosses to carry to the church in the morning. Different men take turns carrying the cross through the muddy mountain paths until they arrive at the church. When they arrive at the church the cross makes three bows in prayer and respect and then finds its place to rest in the church square. There are 40 crosses.

It was absolutely amazing. The strength of (some drunk) men carrying these elaborately decorated cross, singing, praying and coming together into a beautiful, chaotic gathering was a sight I can't erase from my mind. We stayed for a squished mass - imagine a church for 200 people, but we fit at least 500. A donkey came in front of the church carrying "Jesus;" Men crowned with branches then placed Him in the front of the church. The words that come to mind from this whole experience are AWE and APPRECIATION.

After mass I left for a birthday party - my friend Vicky was making fried guinea pig, cuy, for lunch. I figured I have been in Peru now for more than 3 months, it was about time I ate some famous Peruvian cuy. And you know, it wasn't that bad. Kinda like chicken, but more chewy, less meat. Everyone told me that it is the best meat I can eat because cuys have a great, clean diet - they only eat alfalfa. Well, usually it is served on a plate whole - head, feet, arms and all. Here I just got a leg.

No comments: