Monday, March 10, 2008

What is up with these lunches?

My friend Kenny invited me to go out to lunch in the countryside. Sure, how far away? He said it was like an hour. That's fine, we'll be home by dark, right? Well we left at noon and drove THREE hours, almost to the coast, to go out to eat. The drive was beautiful as we curved through the mountains, but it definitely was not a short trip. It was more like a road trip actually. We had a great seafood lunch, but the 6 plus hours of curvy road, feeling nausea, and getting stuck in night mountain rainy traffic wasn't worth the lunch. Next time when he invites me to lunch I am going to recommend a place closer to home.

So then this week I go out to eat a "menu," which is a cheap (3 soles - $1) prepared hot lunch. So instead of going to a restaurant and ordering something specific on the menu, you order what ever it is that has been prepared (usually includes potatoes, rice and some kind of meat, and if you are lucky some green veggies). Well I ordered a Peas Mexican Style Plate and instead of some kind of Mexican food, I got a Chinese plate of food. It was good, but my mouth was watering for some mexican flavor. That is just how it is sometimes. Lunch doesn't always turn out to be what I imagine, but that is all part of the adventure.

No comments: