Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter with no cards or ham

So I talked with my family yesterday before they headed off to the big Bedard-o-rama for Easter weekend. It got me missing my family, holiday gathering and potluck feast, playing cribbage and other card games and betting my $1, to see if I get lucky to go home with $10. My Easter was very low key, in fact I would even say quiet. Many people go to the beach for Semana Santa (Holy Thurs. and Fri.), but after my last beach experience, I decided to stay cozy, warm in my rainy town. I did some hiking, taxes, and knitting. A nice combo, huh? Last night I went to an evangelical wedding in the countryside with my landlords. We arrived at 7pm, but it didn't start until 8:30. There was lots of singing and clapping and waiting. Waiting is the thing Peruvians know how to do best. The bride and groom came and did their civil and religious ceremony and then left. The crowd was confused about if there was more to come. I actually didn't stay to find out, but my landlords this morning told me they came back more than an hour later and then stayed until 3am. Normal. Dinner was served at 1am. Not normal. This morning I went to a catholic mass, that felt more like a evangelical celebration. The priest was clapping and singing. I feel comfortable with that, because my church in college was all about singing joyful songs, but it just struck me as strange in an old, spanish-style catholic church.

This afternoon I will teach my landlords how to make brownies (it's Easter, and I need some chocolate!) Then in the evening there is this celebration in Banos de Inca, the thermal baths out of town - it was rated as one of the top spots in Peru - so there will be some dancing in the street from what I hear.

Because my weekend was so quiet, I was able to reflect and contemplation about my purpose here, finding peace in my path, and just feel calm with my sometimes annoying and lonely surroundings. However, and if, you celebrate Easter I hope you were able to find the same.

No comments: