Saturday, May 3, 2008

Ecuador travels

Machala : Banana capital of the world - Banana trees growing right before your eyes in the city.
Our hostel in Cuenca, Ecuador - it was like a little piece of Europe.
Outside of Cuenca - the colonialism is alive and well.

Back from Ecuador...survived the never-ending bumpy bus rides filled with fried banana treats, loud music, violent movies, and breathtaking sights. I went with Hugo (in Spanish you would call him my boyfriend, but for now we'll say that he is the guy that I am dating). Ecuador was much more than I expected. I had a bitter welcome to the country as some jerk robbed my camera right out of my hands as we were arriving in Ecuador in a mototaxi. But after that episode we were treated like royalty at a friend's sister house in Machala. She served us the best shrimp meal (shrimp heads and all), took us to the famous and enormous banana port, put us up for the night and set us on our way the next morning with the best fresh sweet bread I have ever had. We spent a couple of nights in Cuenca, a very beautiful colonial city in the highlands, where we walked cobblestones streets and ate delicious food in between art museum visits. Ecuador impressed me. The streets of Machala and Cuenca were clean and well maintained. Even the market in Cuenca - no sign of banana peels or trash anywhere. There seemed to be a good chunk of people with money in the southern part of Ecuador as we saw a ton of newer cars and houses that were more like mansions. I think it might have something to do with the big banana giants that rake in dough. I can't speak for all of Ecuador, but I would definitely recommend the southern tip - and bring an appetite because the food is wonderful.
As part of our travels we also got a taste of the northern beaches of peru - white sand, palm trees - you know that typical paradise feel. But, also really, really, really hot and uncomfortable on a long bus ride.
As the trip started on a bad note with the camera disappearing act - it kinda ended on a bad note. I had to make it back to Cajamarca this afternoon for a meeting with my women, but last night we just missed (by 5 minutes) the overnight bus to Cajamarca. So instead of coming home with plenty of time to prep for the meeting, we spent the day riding in multiple buses, waiting on the side of the road, and me being super stressed out about when on earth I was going to arrive in Cajamarca. I got back just in time for my meeting, with 1/2 hr. to spare. Although the trip started and ended with some difficulties - the middle part of my trip was relaxing, fun, and very (mini) vacation like.

2 comments:

poalily said...

Your pictures make me think we stayed in the same hostel in Cuenca. My favorite during my travels.
You look happy and healthy. Mil besos querida.
jennyj

Greanmama said...

Hello Hugo! :) Kim