Saturday, April 26, 2008

Letter to You

Dear Friends and Family,
Hey. What's up? I haven't heard from you in awhile. Things here have been busy. Busy in the way that I love what I am doing and feel like it matters, but also busy like I am ready for a little break. That is exactly what I am doing this week. I have to leave the country for visa stuff and Ecuador is the closest country to go to. So I am heading to the northern part of Peru and Machala, Ecuador - banana capital of the country. Too bad I am not that crazy about bananas. Anyways, I am looking forward to a little R&R, beach sun, shrimp meals, and new views.
When I come back there are lots of planned activities - we are planning a kind-of Artesian Fair and Mother's Day activity - both of which I am sure will require all my energy. So I have frantically been getting things in order this week to prep for the return from Ecuador week.
I have to tell you this week there were lots of highlights and lowlights. One of the highlights was going to visit one of my literacy groups. They are progressing well, although the teacher complains of one of the old women in the group who sometimes falls asleep during class. Before class on Wed. this group invited me to eat guinea pig with them. I was like the guest of honor, eating at the table, while everyone else sat on bricks near the fire. Well, the table was nice - but lonely. So I joined the group by the fire and we had a great conversation about men and guinea pigs (2 separate unrelated topics). My lowlight was my counterpart organization gave me some last minute bad news about not being able to help out financially with one of our big activities next month. Sometimes Peruvians are so great and sometimes they get under my skin and I can't handle it. The problem was somewhat resolved by the end of the day, but it makes me mad that my co-workers can give me a last minute problem as I am walking out the door and not coming back for a week. I am trying to remember if that happens in the states?
Anyways, I am curious to hear what is new...and the elections are you getting sick of it or excited for a change? I still have to request my out of country ballot. Miss you and hope your life is full of light and love. Will write again when I am back "home" in Peru.
Paz, Nora

No comments: