Sunday, November 16, 2008

Clarin competition

What a great start to a difficult day. We went to witness a musical event unlike any I have ever seen before. The Clarin is an ancient instrument that is used throughout Peru, but with origins here in Cajamarca. It sounds a bit like the saxophone and requires a serious amount of strength and balance as the instrument easily is longer than 6 meters (if I am doing my conversion right). It has a deep, resonating sound that is so fun to listen to. There was a Clarin competition this morning in front of the old, famous Belen church where more than 20 musicians came to boast their talents. All ages, similar songs, but good, wholesome entertainment. To top it off a Cajamarcan rock band (that also uses the Clarin, among other native instruments) rocked the crowd with a fusion of Andean beats and electric guitar sounds. Very cool is kinda an understatement.



So that was the great part of the day. Afterwards I found out some bad news that the highway that leads from Lima to Cajamarca was filled with protesters yesterday. The Peruvian government hasn't repaired the rocky and bump highway for who knows how long. So the protesters decided to make a statement and they destroyed a bridge that connects us in Cajamarca to the rest of the world. I guess buses can go to the bridge, you can get off with your luggage, cross the river and get another bus. Of course this happens as I am on the verge of buying my good friend Jen a bus ticket to come to Cajamarca in exactly a week. Augh!

So since it is Sunday and I can't buy any tickets or communicate with Jen, who is in a small village in Mexico right now with no internet, ... so with Hugo's family we decided to venture into the countryside on this beautiful sunny afternoon. We went to this holy hill that holds petroglyph's and a beautiful view of the countryside. Because we didn't bring an offering to the holy hill we were cursed for the afternoon. Both yours truly and Hugo's little bro., Sebastian, got the runs. Imagine leaving that on the holy hill. It only resulted in an accident for Hugo's little brother, I was saved the humiliation. Poor Sebastian also fell into a cactus plant that scarred his hand. I got home anxious for a shower, but alas there is no hot water. And, I can't even make a cup of tea because my cooking gas just ran out. Double Augh!

No comments: