Friday, November 28, 2008

Last Day

A year has come full circle. Excited. Disbelief. Exhausted. Extremely happy. I am on the verge of leaving Cajamarca tomorrow and just filled with lots of emotion. I am ready to venture to another part of Peru, but not ready to close this chapter in my life. I am ready for a break, a good, long break, which is what is happening starting this very minute. For those of you (all 5 of you still reading this blog) that are unclear about my future village bank work; I am taking a rest the month of December and will be stuffing my face and putting smiles on my face at home in MN and then returning to Cajamarca in January for another year of work (aka providing educational and training opportunities to village banks loan recipients in and around town). I am excited about what may be accomplished in the coming year with women I have grown to support this year. I won't have to come back to Cajamarca and start from scratch. The foundation has been laid and now we build the house, or businesses in this case. No doubt I will be a cheerleader again next year, rooting and supporting the women loan recipients in any way possible, but now I know who I am rooting for.

Next year?! There are still days to fill this year. Jen, my old Guatemala peace corps bud, was here this week. We went to visit one of the groups in the countryside and see all their newly born spring animals (including a day old piggie - love at first sight). It was our own little personal, live zoo. We ran errands, went to good-bye eating engagements and wandered around town like tourists. There is still one last event tonight - an Andean music fusion rock concert. So we won't leave Cajamarca on a quiet note. This week we are heading to Huaraz, Ancash: snow-capped mountains, crystal blue lagoons, artisans towns, etc....I will get my week of full Peruvian tourism in before I touch U.S. soil. Hope to share some last Peruvian photos this coming week before all the midwest family and friend reunions begin. Do stay tuned and in touch. See you soon!
Chao (for a little bit) Cajamarca!

1 comment:

r0berts said...

I have loved your blogs. I live vicariously through you and all your adventures. Good job done well! Glad to hear you're going back. Let me know if you need donations of any kind. Maybe I'll make it down there NEXT year. Safe journey.
Patti roberts