Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Rodents vs. Humans

I thought my rodent worries were over last week. I was mistaken.

One night last week as Hugo and I were getting ready for bed when we looked up, and to our surprise, saw a little mouse sitting on the wooden beam that holds up our tile roof right above our bed. The little guy took one look at us and escape through the crack in the roof. I didn't sleep that night and Hugo covered the holes the next day. I was just thankful it wasn't the famous monkey mouse (a mouse with the face of a monkey - some mutant thing!) that I had heard so much about.

Two days later as we were eating dinner we heard a scratch on our door. Who? What? Hugo went to open the door and a little mouse runs in our apartment. Hugo grabbed a piece of wood and I grabbed the broom. We chased that mouse around our apartment for more than an hour. Our moment of glory came when the mouse went into our stove and we turned the stove on and waited strategically for his escape and our kill.

We put rodent poison throughout the apartment and haven't heard a noise ...until...last night.

It sounded like the mice were having a party on the roof above our bedroom. I awoke at 2am thinking, they came back for revenge for their poor family member that we killed last week. The little footsteps kept scurring to the same place. Hugo said they were building a nest. Great! Just what I need, more sleepless nights because our mouse family is expanding. Hugo's job this afternoon is to go on the roof and disassemble the nest. Also, a cat is coming home with us today and will be my new best friend.

If you have any rodent advice, please feel free to share as this is new territory for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ugh - so sorry! my man found a mouse in our bathroom one day (eating soap) and i've never heard such a scream from a man! he put wood over the hole the mouse went into and we found mouse bones in our garden a few days later... i hope your situation gets fixed - that really stinks - i was so paranoid i wouldn't go in the bathroom for days!

it IS funny that ya'll opened the door and let the mouse in though - lol - i dont know why that made me laugh!