Monday, August 10, 2009

Waterless

Monday morning. It is going to be a good week, I just know it - but I am having a rough start. This weekend we didn't have water in our house. I was hoping to wake to the sound of dripping water in the downstairs faucet, but nothing. Not having an element so essential - water - is a really difficult thing. No dish washing, hand washing, toilet flushing, plant watering, brushing teeth or even cleaning the tabletops. I know many of the families with work with struggle with lacking essential elements in their daily life. I should feel fortunate that I only complain about a weekend without water.

This morning all the kiddos that have been on vacation for almost a month (Independence Day celebrations + swine flu scare) went back to classes. That meant that I was waiting for a 1/2 hour on the street for a bus,mototaxi, taxi...hey I would have ridden a donkey to work even. Full cars everywhere. I eventually got my transportation worked out to come to the office, and thankful it wasn't a donkey, and now I am prepping for a busy week. In these next two weeks DiscoverHope Fund is fortunate to have 2 Business Meadows Fellows from the University of Austin, TX joining the team (the one woman team in Cajamarca!) They just landed in Cajamarca this morning and once they get adjusted we will be pretty busy this week. They are going to help out with some evaluation, business assistance to our women and another Buy Day that is programmed for next week.


Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope the water comes back soon! I've done a lot of research on places without (clean/healthy) water and I can't imagine living like that. I've done it camping out and that was enough! We are blessed indeed.