Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Wet everywhere

The rainy season feels like it is in full swing. It is raining everyday, sometimes all day. The drainage system here is not so good, so there are frequently rivers in the street to cross. But people go on with their life as if a little rain won't stop them. Umbrellas are a rare sight here, despite the rain. Today I was on the motorcycle again with Vanessa. It started to rain, but what were we going to do? We keep riding and arrived soaking wet. My landlord Luz says that rain helps condition your hair. So I guess I should leave my umbrella and rain jacket at home, everyone else here does! The rain also means that my clothes don't dry, I am hoping by the weekend to get them back. On top of the rain, pre-carnival traditions have started. Kids are throwing water balloons at everyone. They hide out on roof tops, sneak out of doorways, or throw water balloons in mass from the back of a truck. The kids have no shame, they drenched a woman and her baby with a pail of water, that fell like a waterfall from the rooftop, as I was walking out of a store this weekend. As if I wasn't wet enough from the rain, the carnival water balloons will make sure to finish you off.

No comments: