Tuesday, April 1, 2008

30

Feeling blessed, loved and not really 30. I was expecting to wake up and have a depressed wave of feelings - the disappointment in not being where "society" tell you to be at this age, but nothing of the sort happened. In fact it was a perfectly lovely day. My co-workers surprised me with a cheese and cookie breakfast. I took the morning off to get the best mud massage I have ever had in my life, and then in the night I celebrated with my good friends here in town. Luz, my landlady/Peruvian mom, made a beautiful cake and my friends gathered in my apartment to sing a string of songs (almost kinda like the traditional Bedard b.day song list). I had to give a little speech, because that is what you do here on your B.day. But then we went around the room and everyone said a little something to celebrate the day. It was just right. Not only did I feel cared for and loved here in Peru, but I felt it all the way from the states. And so many people have told me that from now on life as I know it just gets better. At 20 you explore and at 30 you know yourself and you commit, relax, be, enjoy, give and take, radiant confidence more than ever before. So here I come!

I'm also sharing a picture of my friend Vicky and her daughter, who held an early B.day lunch for me on Sunday and taught me how to make one of my favorite dishes here - Aji de Gallina - a kinda spicy chicken and potato dish. Oh, it was delicious.

No comments: