Monday, April 21, 2008

Globalized world

On Sat. I was walking home from a women's group and heard mariachi music blocks away from my house. When I opened the door it was confirmed. There was a full mariachi band playing Happy Birthday to Gilmer, the father of the family I live with. I knew there was going to be a party in the afternoon, but I didn't know the patio would be full of people and a mariachi band? That is our globalized world - the influence of cultures besides U.S. has triumphed here. I felt like I was in Mexico, but later in the afternoon we put on cumbia music and starting passing around the beer glass (everyone here drinks beer from the same glass and just passes it around, waiting their turn to drink), so I knew I was really in Peru. It is B.day season now, Happy Birthday to all!

No comments: