Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Did I just say/hear that?

I have had a couple of interesting exchanges in the past couple of days. I went to visit a village bank that was celebrating the arrival of a new baby in the group. So it was more of a celebratory meeting, complete with snacks and drinks. The women were asking me if I have gotten use to the food here. I said I love the food...except the only thing that I don't like is eating potatoes with rice all the time. I like both potatoes and rice, but not together for every single meal. 10 minutes later one of the women started to bring out plates of food for everyone, and of course on the plates were potatoes and rice and meat. I immediately wanted to crawl in a hole. I couldn't believe I had just disgraced the food before it came out. The women were kinda chuckling and giving me a hard time. I ate my whole plate and smiled through my shame. Here you must eat your whole plate, or it is a sign of disrespect. But regardless, I had already stuck my foot in my mouth.

Today I went to visit a school to find out if we can use their space for a Mother's Day activity. I have visited this school 3 times in the past week and no luck meeting with the Director. Today I got lucky! So here I am explaining DHF, the purpose of our activity, is it possible to use the space, etc....and he changes the conversation to "I want to go to the U.S., can you help me?" Well I say, "as far as I know it is difficult to go to the states, you either need to have a work visa or marry someone from the U.S." Bad move. He then asks me if we could get married. WHAT?!?! So, I never got an answer to the question about our Mother's Day space, nor do I think I will be going back anytime soon to find an answer. Augh.

No comments: