Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Treasure, Trash, Treasure

Today was a random holiday in Peru, so I took the morning off to go hiking with my friends. I should know by now when my Peruvian friends say we're going to go for a hike for 2-3 hours, that usually means the hike will probably take twice the amount of time. But no matter, I went along with the hiking plan like happy dog, following my tour guide friends as they lead the way to where-ever we were going.

We hiked along the northern part of the Inca trail and it was a treasure. We got a little lost in the beginning, but really, the first Inca's that paved the way here I am sure got lost too. We walked through pine forest, along a clean, bubbly river, and scald a couple of mountains. It only rained for a short bit of time, which was lucky for us, since the rainy season is starting to pick up speed and hit Cajamarca in full force.

I came home exhausted and happy. And just as I was getting ready to relax and sip a cup of tea, I heard the trash bell. Three times a week the trash pick-up truck comes around and everyone runs out of their houses with their small plastic trash bags to leave it on the curb. I joined the "running with trash" crowd and brought my plastic bags out to the curb; where there were three little smiley kids waiting for me at the curb. I knew it before I left my trash, they were there to find some treasures. I see this all the time. Kids, adults, and yes dogs too, going through the trash. Looking for food for their pigs, bottles to reuse, and who knows what else. I could be sad and dishearted by the whole thing, but one person trash is another person treasure. True statement.

No comments: