Friday, April 3, 2009

Feel the Love

The happy couple in 'compromiso' (engagement, not compromised)
It is pretty crazy that through all these internet waves I can feel the love and support of family and friends from other corners of the world right here in Cajamarca, Peru. This week I have been floating in the clouds of happiness and I feel like you are right there with me. Which is the opposite I feel when I share our news with Peruvians, "I knew it. When are you taking Hugo to the U.S.?" "YOU! You want to marry a Peruvian?" Anyways, I would prefer to receive the glowing internet love than face the marriage comments of some Peruvians. There is general negative feelings associated with marriage here in this country. You are trapped. The woman is under control of the man. As a wife you ask permission to do anything. You are chained. In the U.S. I know we have some similiar negative connotations, but with machismo alive and well in Peru, the negativity is heighten to another level. I know Hugo and I know Hugo doesn't fit into this macho category. It's just hard, because a lot of other folks I know here do fit into this category. So, thanks for sending your love. It has worked to keep me high in the clouds this week.

Not only that, but my Birthday was extended to be nearly a full week long. Yesterday the loan recipients surprised me with a cake and a CocaCola toast. I used the opportunity to ask for their income sheets that I collect every month, which they thought was funny since we were celebrating my birthday, not working. They gave me a very cheesy jewelry holder that I would never dream of using, but since it came from the women I work with, well I have another place for my earrings now. Today there is no birthday celebration planned. That means I can go to the art show, gym, wash my socks, all that normal stuff that I haven't been able to do all week.

Hugo and I are hoping this month to try and get some more details figured out for those of you who are able and willing to fly the friendly nightly South American skies to join us in January. The only problem I forsee is that in Peru you normally plan big events like this a month ahead of time. We want to plan it 9 months ahead of time. Stay tuned to find out if it is possible!

Included photos in this post: the Laguna Seca bathtub!!!, the heart laced jewelry holder from my women, and the engagement bracelet.

2 comments:

Veronica said...

Cuanta emocion, felicitaciones, de todo corazon te deceo l mejor del mundo para ti y tu novio, no todos los hispanos son machistas, o sino mirame a mi y Liz, todo ira bien con la confianza y el respeto que mutuamente se tengan, asi que adelante, para atras ni para tomar impulso!ha ha...
Desde Madison, WI
besos y abrazos
Tu amiga Vero.:)

Unknown said...

Nora! Hi...see, I do read your blog once in awhile. It helps me feel connected. What an adventure you just had...sounds wonderful :) So great to follow your "story" and also learn about Peru for when we visit, hopefully. I'm already looking into tickets...so let us know dates whenever they get made! What a beautiful bracelet. What a lovely couple! I am thinking of you daily. Love you. Miss you. Trisha