Monday, April 13, 2009

Stories of the Past Revisited

Some of you may have heard of the Fujimori decision last week: Ex-President convicted of Rights Abuses. Ever since last Wednesday I feel like I have been reliving part of Peru's past. I have been asking people what they think of Fujimoris' 25 yr. prison sentence. Surprisingly many of my Peruvians friends and acquaintances think that 25 yrs. is too much and that Fujimori shouldn't even receive any prison time. Yes, Fujimori killed innocent people. Yes, He took too much of an authoritarian rule. But, He iliminated terrorism in Peru.

The stories from my co-worker, who is from a small town in the jungle, of the acts of terrorism during the 90's is outrageous. Stories of threats to kill children and animals if money wasn't turned over to the terrorists. Hangings, Burnings in the main square. Dead bodies floating down the river. Sociologist students that were pursued for being revoluntionary. Things that were normal during the reign of terror. Just 10 years ago. Fujimori put a stop to it. And many of the Peruvians I know stand behind him in support still.

I don't know what to make of the news; all I have been hearing is awful stories. I would encourage you all to read up on the news as it sounds like the trial isn't completey over. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/08/world/americas/08fujimori.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=Fujimori,%20Peru&st=cse

No comments: