Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Good News

I don't know how to start or the best way to put this, but I'll do my best. Last year around this time I started seeing a Peruvian man - Hugo - who asked me to be his girlfriend in Spanish and at the time I didn't quite understand the wording of his question, but I went with it. I understood enough to know he was gentle, kind, patience and loving. That is what I needed to know before jumping into the role of girlfriend. After of year of travels, cultural growth, misunderstandings, trials and triumphs, beautiful moments and a love that has grown immensely, we both realized that this is it. We have found in each other the partner that we want to share our lives with.

So, we engaged each other on our anniversary.

It was lovely and it wasn't at all like the movies. It was a commitment each of us made to each other about our true feelings and intentions. No ring. No down on one knee. Just pure, honest heart to heart embrace and commitment. That is more than I could have ever hoped for. And, although there is no ring, there is a bracelet, which if you think about it is bigger than a ring and asks for that much more commitment!

We celebrated in the Laguna Seca, the fancy smancy hotel outside of Cajamarca. Thermal waters, cable TV, and a bathtub big enough to fit 10 people - what more could you ask for?

We have talked about a wedding in the beginning of January, so if you are reading this, start checking flights to Lima, Peru because you by all means are invited.

I am joyful, happy and feel like life is taking it's natural course. I never would have imagined to be in this place at this moment, but being here just feels so right and so good. So, that is the good news I want to share with you. Sorry it is not a phone call or a face to face conversation. This is the best way I know how to share at this moment. My love to all, as right now my cup runneth over.

4 comments:

Emily Ehresmann said...

NORA!! I am so completely happy for you! You are a wonderful, kind, and fun-loving person and you deserve someone who is the same. To find someone so perfect for you and to make the decision to share the rest of your lives together is the best news I've heard in a while! So, congratulations, and I really hope you have a lot of fun being a fiancee and planning for the wedding. I will see what my schedule looks like for January! :) Take care! Miss ya.

Compassion said...

Congratulations!!! That is so exciting!!

Pete said...

My love and support, big sis. You always find your way on the road less travelled and this is no exception! Tell Hugo he's in for it when the Bedards come to Cajamarca - its only fair to warn him :)

Janice B. said...

Nora, I am thrilled for you! I hope I can come out for your wedding. What a wonderful way to practice my new Spanish skills. I wish I were closer to you now, so I could give you a hug & see that huge grin on your face. Huge is a lucky guy! Much love, Janice