Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Cumbe de Mayo










I had to celebrate the settling in the apartment by taking a trip out of town. With some friends I went to cumbe de mayo, a national protected inca heritage site up the mountain from cajamarca. I was in absolute awe. It is this series of majestic rock mountains that contain an ancient water canal system throughout. The aqueduct water canal system had perfect right angles, though it was made 1,200 BC. Originally, I thought we might see one rock formation, but it turned into an all afternoon hike with a stunning views at every turn. If my stomach hadn´t been grumbling I would have absorbed more of the history that our guide and friend, Paola, was explaining. But, I am not too worried, as I am planning on visiting again, with a picnic and warm sweater next time. This was a mind clearing and peaceful space to just be in, especially considering the spiritual history that it holds. I needed that - the past couple of days I have been running around looking for an empty gas container to give to my neighbor who borrowed me one. Everyone sells full gas containers, but nobody sells empty ones. The search continues...

No comments: