Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Noche Buena


I did get to celebrate Christmas Eve, twice actually. I ate a turkey dinner with my landlords, which included paneton, hot cocoa, and peruvian wine. It was a joyous dinner with stories and laughs. I then had to rest up for my second Christmas eve dinner with Paola and her family. I met Paola at 11pm in the central plaza, where it felt like there was a street party going on. Food, gifts, music, barbies, you could find it all on the street. Some people were carrying their baby jesus that they had just gotten blessed at mass. We walked through the chaotic streets to get to her sister's house and waited until midnight to toast and eat. Her dad dressed up as Santa Clause for the two little kiddos in the house. We drank more wine, shared stories, kissed the baby jesus at midnight and put him in his place in the nativity scene, and finally put on some dance music so we could truely celebrate. Today I am feeling a little under the weather, too much dance music maybe? I am planning on staying in and reading ''Cosmo" and resting up so that I can celebrate again on New Years.
Blessing to all today and beyond- far in distance, close in heart!

No comments: