Monday, December 24, 2007

Windows and Water

It doesn't feel like Christmas here, partly because of the 70 degree weather, and because I am not stuffin my face with x-mas cookies. Truely, I am a little bummed, but am making the most
of this beautiful part of the world. Yesterday, my new friend Kenny Richards, a peruvian who is in the mining business, took me to "las ventanillas." They are literally little windows that were used by the Incas as tombs. It is amazing that from far away a mountain can look like it has windows. Then this morning I didn't want to fight with my shower and the lack of hot water, so I went to Banos de Inca, these thermal baths just outside of town. These baths were the location of the beginning of the fall of the northern Inca empire at the hands of the Spainards. It was a toasty hot, egg smelly bath; it was absolutely perfect.

No comments: